- Servings : 4-6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 30m
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 leek, finely chopped (white part only)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsps. flour
- 2½ cups milk
- 2½ cups fish or chicken stock
- ½ cup cream
- A handful of shellfish in shells (eg mussels or clams), scrubbed and cleaned
- ½ lb. raw fish (ex: monkfish, snapper, tarakihi, hapuku) cut into chunks
- ½ lb. raw prawns
- ½ lb. smoked fish or salmon, flaked
- Juice of half a lemon
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chives, finely chopped
Place a large saucepan over medium heat. Melt butter in the pan, and cook leeks, and garlic. Add a pinch of salt, and cook until garlic is fragrant.
Add the flour, and stir for 1 minute. Slowly add ½ cup of milk, and stir until no lumps of flour can be seen. Then gradually pour the rest of the milk. Add the stock and cream, and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, and continuously stir until slightly thickened.
Add the shellfish, and cook for 1-2 minutes. Then, add the remaining seafood, and simmer for a couple of minutes, until cooked through. Pour the lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Stir in parsley. Serve in bowls, with chives on top. Enjoy!